Sony Vaio W netbook: Protruding 6-cell battery & access panel in pictures

July 8, 2009 at 9:52 pm

Sony Vaio W netbookSony announced its first proper netbook yesterday, the 10.1-inch Vaio W, which has a high-resolution display, chiclet keyboard and is powered by a 1.66GHz N280 Atom CPU. We can’t help thinking that Sony would have had a best seller on its hands if the battery life was a bit better.

Sony has included a standard 3-cell (2100mAh) battery that is good for just 160 minutes of battery life. The good news is that an optional 6-cell (5200mAh) battery will also be available that should double this time. Some new pictures from ITMedia show just how much this higher capacity battery will stick out, unfortunately it does so quite a bit.

Sony Vaio W netbook

Sony Vaio W netbook

Sony Vaio W netbook

Other pictures show the access panel on the bottom of the Vaio W netbook. This panel gives easy access to the HDD, but to access the RAM you have to remove the extra screws around the battery and lift the keyboard up.

Sony Vaio W netbook

Sony Vaio W netbook

In related news, Sony has added a couple of promotional videos on the Sony Vaio W netbook. One features a conversation with the engineers behind the netbook and another video has a conversation with a designer. You can check out these videos below.

Via Portable Monkey (1 & 2).

Comments

19 Responses to “Sony Vaio W netbook: Protruding 6-cell battery & access panel in pictures”

1. Adam Blumhof said:
    September 5th, 2009 10:24 PM

I just purchased my first laptop. The Sony W netook. Only concern is, the battery seems to die within an hour. Is that normal?

How long should the life be at full charge, not connected to the web and connected to the web?

Are they now selling a six cell battery I just read about? How much life out of that one?

Thanks,

Adam in Seattle

2. Abraxes said:
    September 16th, 2009 9:14 PM

It really depends on what u using it for, i use mine at college and, i was playing with all the energy saving things and i got this results:

screen bright minimum and volume off, with word working to take notes, and messenger online, without any peripehals connected, and the bluetooth turned off, i made it last long up to 34 hours.

Then i set up my hard disc to stop spinning after 3 mins of inactivity, and my screen to turn off at 1 min of inactivity, turned off the wirless and bluetooth, set up the screen bright at the minimal setting, (still can see my screen very well) turned off the speakers.

only ran it with Word to take my class notes, and set up the computer so when i close down the screen it will suspend, and this way it lasted long ALL COLLEGE DAY LONG (from 9 am to 5 pm) and the netbook stayed with a fresh cool temperature all day long, eventualy spinning its fan at minimum and mostly never.

i always use it on a desktop, never on my legs or it will heat up and the fan will kill my battery. (be wise how u use it)

i been using it like that for one week now (just bought it and I LOVE IT)

besides that i customize it with a windows skin program so it looks awesome, it lasts long 10 tons of time, and hey man….its a vaio, it wont burn down like an acer or a bloody Hewlett packard >.<

i only turn on the internet WHEN I NEED IT. and i use the netbook for what it was intended for, so in resume, knowing how to use it, and keeping it cool. humm the batterie lasted long 5 hours or so…(real time of computer working, the suspend times and the time between classes doesnt count, even when it lasted the whole day long.)

so be happy be nice, dont heat up your comp, and if u want to run games n stuff, i suggest you get another kind of laptop bro :P

peace n good luck!

3. Abraxes said:
    September 16th, 2009 9:16 PM

correction (before some one impales me…) i made it last long up to 34 hours

I MADE IT LAST LONG UP TO 3 HOURS…

4. Alia Billie said:
    October 12th, 2013 12:05 AM

Hola, mi nombre es Isaías. Actualmente estoy aprendiendo JavaScript y otros lenguajes de desarrollo web. He venido a este foro para ampliar mis conocimientos sobre el nuevo material y la ciencia y, posiblemente, ayudar a otras personas por si puedo. Yo no juego mucho más, pero yo estaba realmente en Minecraft hace un tiempo, casi sin parar de Alpha temprana hasta la liberación completa cuando mi interés comenzó a desvanecerse. Fortaleza Ah, y enano, no puede olvidarse de eso …. Ese juego es … divertido. Bueno, hay un par de cosas acerca de mí mismo, supongo. ¡Salud!

5. what is anxiety attack said:
    July 16th, 2014 7:47 AM

Wonderful blog! I found it while browsing on Yahoo News.
    Do you have any tips on how tto get listed in Yahoo News?

I’ve been trying foor a while but I never seem to get
    there! Appreciate it

6. what causes panic attacks said:
    July 20th, 2014 2:24 AM

In such a siuation you might fel nervous, anxious, edgy but there is no comparison with an actual ppanic disorder.
    Heart rate variability biofeedback is a wonderful feel good tool which teaches us to manage the time
    between heart beats. The adrenalin in turn causes your heart to beat rapidloy and greatly incrtease blood-flow.

Feel fee tto visit my blog :: what causes panic attacks

7. http://2u.lc/HlVu said:
    August 10th, 2014 11:43 AM

I’m really enjoying the design and layout of your blog.
    It’s a very easy on the eyes which makes it much more
    enjoyable for me to come here and visit more often. Did you hire out a designer
    to create your theme? Excellent work!

8. http://egp.im said:
    August 10th, 2014 5:06 PM

Write more, thats all I have to say. Literally, it seems as though you
    relied on the video to make your point. You definitely know what youre talking about, why
    throw away your intelligence on just posting
    videos to your blog when you could be giving us something enlightening to read?

9. app said:
    September 7th, 2014 11:15 AM

I like reading an article that can make people
    think. Also, many thanks for allowing me to comment!

my web-site – app

10. Margene said:
    September 14th, 2014 4:14 PM

Thanks for sharing your info. I really appreciate your efforts and I am waiting for your
    next post thank you once again.

11. internet marketing jobs said:
    October 15th, 2014 6:03 AM

Tɦе neա Google ad network interface introduced tɦe term
    page revenue peг thousand impressions (RPM) tߋ remove ambiguity.
    ӏt is nothing Ƅut writing ɑnd submitting articles tо
    article directory sites. Sites thatprovide tɦis
    opportunity ihclude Swagbucks ɑnd.

mу website – internet marketing jobs

12. Tiendas Led said:
    January 28th, 2015 2:08 PM

Buenas, gracias por la informacion , me ha sido de gran utilidad, la
    compartire !!!Besos!!!!.

Hola, buenísimo el blog post, muy útil, lo compartire.
    Abrazos a todos

Buenas, gracias por la informacion , me ha sido de enorme utilidad, la compartire !!!Abrazos!!!!.

Mil gracias por dar a todos una maravillosa posibilidad como para leer los comentarios
    críticos de este blog.

Siempre y en todo momento es muy fabuloso y asimismo rellena con un montón de diversión para mí y mis compañeros de oficina los trabajadores
    a visitar el weblog más de 3 veces a la r
    semana para leer mediante los nuevos consejos que has
    conseguido. Y, de hecho, estoy tan a menudo satisfechas con sus ideas creativas atractivas que sirve.

Algunas áreas 2 de este artículo son sin duda el más eficiente todo lo que hemos tenido.

Super-Duper blog Soy cariñoso él!! Volveremos más tarde a leer un tanto más.
    Empleo los feeds Asimismo

Yo sencillamente no podía salir de su sitio
    ya antes de sugerir que me agradó mucho la información frecuente
    una persona dé para sus visitantes?

Hmm es cualquier otra persona teniendo inconvenientes con las imágenes en este blog carga?
    Trato de descubrir si es un inconveniente en mi
    final o bien si es el weblog.
    Cualquier respuesta sería valoradísima.

Como novato, estoy navegando de forma permanente en línea para los artículos que
    me puede asistir. Gracias

Temas fantásticos en conjunto, que acaba de ganar
    un nuevo lector. ¿Qué podría usted sugerir sobre su publican que acaba de crear un puñado de días en el pasado?

13. fluorescentes led said:
    June 13th, 2015 2:25 PM

compañeros de oficina los trabajadores a visitar el blog más de tres veces a la semana para leer a través de los

nuevos consejos que has conseguido. Y, de hecho, estoy tan a menudo

satisfechas con sus ideas creativas atractivas que usted sirve.

Algunas áreas dos de este artículo son indudablemente el más eficiente todo cuanto hemos tenido.

14. marketing en salud said:
    March 3rd, 2016 1:02 AM

Hola!! estuve navegando asi como unas 2 horas en las webs hoy y no vi nada tan espectacular como tu
    texto. Me ha encantado mucho el modo que gastas al
    escribir imagino que es lo que me ha llegado.

En mi humilde opinion, si todos los propietarios
    de webs crearan este tipo de textos, Internet seria mucho mas practico.

Espero que te mantengas asi y continue leyendo textos de la fuerza que tiene este.

15. Marcella said:
    May 11th, 2016 1:14 AM

Por si fuera poco con el navegador Chrome y su traducción automática todo es
    muy simple.

16. laundry trolley sale said:
    May 19th, 2016 12:50 AM

Having read this I believed it was very informative.
    I appreciate you taking the time and energy to put this short article together.

I once again find myself personally spending a significant amount of time both
    reading and posting comments. But so what, it was
    still worthwhile!

17. purple fall wedding invitations said:
    May 28th, 2016 1:52 PM

I prefer to call it a scream or a Seems closer to the real sound than a Also it’s blood curdling if it wakes you from dead sleep and you don’t know what’s making the Sounds like someone is murdering a

18. test said:
    June 7th, 2016 7:28 PM

Hi there, everything is going fine here and ofcourse every one is sharing facts, that’s really
    good, keep up writing.

19. babyshower-gifts said:
    August 7th, 2016 12:43 PM

No, ’tis slander, Whose edge is sharper than the sword, whose tongue Outvenoms all the worms of Nile, whose breath Rides on the posting winds, and doth belie All corners of the world.