Vendors to push higher margin 12-inch netbooks in 2010

November 28, 2009 at 6:20 pm

Trending upThe definition of a netbook has changed somewhat since the first 7-inch Eee PC appeared just over two years ago. There has been a gradual trend upwards in display sizes, with 10-inch netbooks being the common standard. However, with 11.6-inch and 12.1-inch models released in the second half of this year, this segment is expected to get a big push from manufacturers in 2010 according to Digitimes.

This doesn’t mean 10-inch netbooks will disappear, however manufacturers will position them as entry-level devices to compete against the emergence of ARM-based smartbooks. Models with touchscreen displays will be displayed towards the mid-range market, whilst the 12-inch models are expected to drive profits.

The move to higher netbook sizes means higher ASP’s (average selling prices) as well as higher margins. Canalys CEO Steve Brazier has said that the profit for a $410 netbook is just 20 cents per machine, once the company’s expenses have been taken out. Breaking this down: $67 goes to Intel / Microsoft, $279 to the component manufacturers, $33 to the retailer, $10 to the distributor and $21 to the vendor.

Adding the Nvidia ION chipset increases costs by around $60 and is becoming a desirable component in the larger netbook models. Whether this remains the case once Intel’s Pine Trail platform chipset is released is another story. Pine Trail includes an integrated memory controller and GPU, although this GPU will be less powerful than ION. Plus, Nvidia has ION 2 on the horizon to counterattack Pine Trail.

Via Reg Hardware.

Comments

10 Responses to “Vendors to push higher margin 12-inch netbooks in 2010”

1. Cheap Shared Proxies said:
    September 12th, 2021 4:53 PM

Spot on with this write-up, I really think this website needs much more consideration. I’ll probably be once more to read way more, thanks for that info.

2. Hairstyles Women said:
    January 4th, 2022 5:38 AM

I’m writing to make you be aware of of the awesome experience my wife’s child undergone using your web page. She discovered a wide variety of issues, with the inclusion of how it is like to possess an amazing teaching mood to let many more clearly fully understand a variety of hard to do things. You really did more than our expectations. Thanks for showing those warm and friendly, healthy, edifying and also unique tips on your topic to Evelyn.

3. Hairstyles said:
    January 8th, 2022 12:23 AM

Heya this is somewhat of off topic but I was wanting to know if blogs use WYSIWYG editors or if you have to manually code with HTML. I’m starting a blog soon but have no coding know-how so I wanted to get guidance from someone with experience. Any help would be enormously appreciated!

4. Hairstyles said:
    January 8th, 2022 2:26 AM

It’s the best time to make some plans for the future and it is time to be happy. I’ve read this post and if I could I desire to suggest you some interesting things or suggestions. Perhaps you can write next articles referring to this article. I desire to read more things about it!

5. Hairstyles Women said:
    January 10th, 2022 12:26 AM

I want to convey my appreciation for your generosity giving support to all those that should have assistance with this topic. Your very own commitment to passing the message up and down had become pretty informative and has all the time encouraged guys and women just like me to attain their pursuits. This informative recommendations indicates a great deal to me and especially to my fellow workers. Thank you; from everyone of us.

Trackbacks

1. Vendors to push higher margin 12-inch netbooks in 2010 – Netbook Choice | The Bargain Netbook
  2. Vendors to push higher margin 12-inch netbooks in 2010 | Netbook … NetBook C
  3. Register for FREE - Wall Street Journal « mendocino
  4. Morgan » Blog Archive » Muscatine shoppers line up early for Black Friday sales - Muscatine Journal
  5. mesa » Blog Archive » Vendors to push higher margin 12-inch netbooks in 2010 - Netbook Choice