Asus Eee PC 1201N netbook officially announced

November 19, 2009 at 8:34 am

Asus Eee PC 1201NAfter months of speculation, Asus has officially announced the Eee PC 1201N netbook. This 12.1-inch netbook is powered by a dual-core 1.6GHz 330 Atom processor, Nvidia ION graphics and Windows 7 Home Premium. The 1201N will sell for $499 (in black and white) when it launches in the middle of December.

You won’t find any surprises in the specifications, which are the same that we’ve covered previously. You’ll get a 12.1-inch LED backlit display with a resolution of 1366 x 768 pixels. Models will come with either 2GB or 3GB DDR2 RAM and a 250GB/320GB HDD. 500GB of free online storage for 12 months is also provided via ASUS WebStorage. Wireless connectivity is taken care by Wi-Fi (b/g/n), Bluetooth 2.1. Other features include HDMI out, a 0.3MP webcam, card reader and three USB ports.

Asus Eee PC 1201N

We do get new information on the battery though, the 1201N will launch with a 6-cell 63Wh Li-ion battery that Asus claims will last for 5 hours. I’d take this number with a pinch of salt as this number is measured using MobileMark. This benchmark allows manufacturers to set the display to around 20-30 percent brightness and turn Wi-Fi off. I would imagine real world numbers to be around an hour less.

Asus Eee PC 1201N

In terms of design, the 1201N fits in the Seashell family, therefore it looks very similar to the smaller 1008HA and 1101HA netbooks. However, this comes with a chiclet keyboard, rather than the flat keys seen in the smaller models. At its thickest point, it measure just 1.3-inches in thickness and weighs 1.46kg (not far off the Eee PC 1000HE).

Asus Eee PC 1201N

The Eee PC 1201N will come preinstalled with ArcSoft SimHD, which upscales standard definition video content to high definition. Combine this with Adobe Flash Player 10.1 and you have one of the most powerful netbooks to date.

Asus Eee PC 1201N

A few smaller retailers are already listing the Eee PC 1201N, so it can’t be too long before the bigger ones have it up too. There’s no word on the UK release at this point, but we know Asus are planning to put a press release at any point now. For hands-on impressions and photos head over to Laptop Mag and PC Mag.

Update: UK launch details have been announced.

Asus Eee PC 1201N Technical Specifications:

• 12.1″ LED-backlit WXGA screen (1366 x 768)
  • Genuine Windows 7
  • Intel Atom 330 Dual Core processor
  • NVIDIA ION Graphics
  • DDR2 SO-DIMM 2GB/3GB
  • 250GB HDD/320GB + 500GB* ASUS WebStorage
  • 802.11b/g/n @2.4GHz, Bluetooth 2.1 + EDR
  • Battery life: 5hrs; 6-Cell 63Wh Li-ion Battery
  • 0.3M Pixel Webcam (with digital zoom function)
  • Hi-Definition Audio CODEC
  • Stereo Speakers
  • High Quality Mic
  • 1 x VGA Port (D-sub 15-pin for external monitor), 1 x HDMI, 3 x USB 2.0, 1 x LAN RJ-45, 2 x Audio Jack (Head Phone / Mic-in), Card Reader: MMC/ SD(SDHC)
  • Dimensions: 296mm (W) x 208mm (D) x 27.3~ 33.3mm (H)
  • Weight : 1.46kg (3.22lbs)
  • Colours: Black, Silver

Comments

56 Responses to “Asus Eee PC 1201N netbook officially announced”

1. bobmac said:
    November 20th, 2009 8:32 PM

This is almost too good to be true – my main concern is how long I will have to wait before it is available in Canada!?!

One feature not mentioned in the write up is that the Asus 1201N has a full size keyboard, not the typical 92% of fullsize!

I want an Ion netbook – and I am having a hard time waiting as the HP Mini 311 is available for $450 Cdn at Costco until November 30th – so I want to know more about the Asus’ availability by that time. The 311’s shortfall vs. the Asus is wireless G and no Bluetooth, and of course only the N270 instead of the N330.

Trying to be patient …

2. bobmac said:
    November 20th, 2009 9:09 PM

I don’t see the 37 comments on this post but the 37 “Trackbacks” you list that are just links to other websites that have picked up the Asus 1201N news.
    Am I missing the proper link or have I posted the only real reader comment??

3. Tej said:
    November 20th, 2009 9:16 PM

Yep, that is correct. We tried changing the code so that it didn’t post them as comments when we receive a trackback, but it caused problems with wp-admin.

We’re still working on the issue so that it only mentions the number of comments when there is actually a proper comment! :-)

4. piola29 said:
    November 22nd, 2009 11:26 PM

I would also like to know when this netbook would be released in the U.S. Since the samsung n510 has been delayed for quite a lot of time (i think it was a very stupid move by samsung, cause at this point it has lost all its advantage over other netbooks, and also my interest), and this netbook seems to be quite better with a full size keyboard and dual core atom.

5. TSellers said:
    November 29th, 2009 4:49 AM

I did purchase the HP Mini 311 at Costco for $449.00 CAD. I will be taking it back:

- Bad keyboard layout
    - WiFi does not have ‘N’ so you cannot stream HD over wireless
    - Playback of video is having problems in all players under Windows 7
    - No Bluetooth
    - Will not boot with Logitech Wireless Mouse USB receiver plugged into it.
    - Screen smaller than Asus, slower processor, less drive space, less memory, etc.

I will be getting the Asus Instead.

6. Mika said:
    December 10th, 2009 7:53 PM

I still dont understand why webcamera is 0.3mpix, when even older netbooks have 1.3mpix.. For Skypecalls I dont was that bad camera.

7. Avid said:
    December 24th, 2009 8:50 AM

I thought purchasing HP Mini 311, since I saw a video of GTA 4 gameplay, but made up my mind to purchase this as it is much better in hardware & color (All Black!) too.

I have done a lot of research (reading reviews!) which includes: Samsung N510, Lenovo S12, Asus N10J-A2, HP Mini 311, …. two more models… but all these could not match the Asus 1201n. Nice move Asus, that to at such affordable price.

8. Avid said:
    December 24th, 2009 8:50 AM

Great configuration.
    Am going in for this model as its got a good processor as well the Ion graphics & 5 hours battery during normal use.
    The only I need to know is if it can handle GTA 4 in 1024 x 768 resolution with all settings to minimum (Have to be sure it has no lag).
    I am stressing on GTA 4 gameplay, since it is both CPU & GPU intensive game.
    Cause if it plays this game, we can be pretty sure it can handle any other game well.
    Could you help me out with this & if possible do post the FPS.
    I am really excited.
    Thanks.
    (Getting it for $500 + 4% VAT)

9. chromeOSsite said:
    December 29th, 2009 9:36 PM

wow…seems like Asus is really carrying on with the 1008ha style. I have a 1008ha and love it but my only problem with it is the plastic feel. This netbook looks even more plasticy 0_o

Anyways…as for the specs they look cool. for me though, I wouldn’t buy a 12+in netbook but rather a 10.1 that has a really high resolution…and ion :D

10. Avid said:
    December 30th, 2009 1:10 PM

Hey chromeOSsite, even I prefer a 10.1 inch with atleast a minimum of 1024×768 resolution, but then, I don’t think these companies would launch a product with the same specs, as of now.Wouldn’t it be cool to have a 10 incher with the same configuration. It could have been worth the price…
    Am going ahead with the purchase… Been waiting for a year and a half for the perfect netbook… Will keep you posted when I lay my hands on it…

11. kerem said:
    January 17th, 2010 7:37 PM

DISSAPOINTMENT WITH ASUS 1201. I RECEIVED IT ON 12 JANUARY AND RETURNING IT BACK IN THE SOONEST TIME. THE IMAGE QUALITY IS SURPRISINGLY VERY POOR. IT DOES NOT WORK WITH MY EXTERNAL HARD DISK DUE TO INSUFFICIENT POWER. ALSO VERY SLOW THOUGH IT IS DUO CORE. MY FRIEND’S HP MINI 10.1″ IS FASTER THAN THIS. MINE CAN BE A DEFICIENT ONE. BUT STILL I DO NOT WANT TO TRY REPLACING IT WITH A NEW ONE. INSTEAD I WILL BUY AN HP OR TOSHIBA TO BE ON THE SAFE SIDE.

12. Chance Stevens said:
    January 18th, 2010 8:25 AM

The 1201N looks like it just might be Asus’ most popular model and that’s even with a $499 pricetag. You could buy a lot of larger, more powerful computers but sometimes size is king.

Turns out that you can get one for as low as $473. I found the deal here: http://www.netbookreports.com/2010/01/asus-1201n-price-drops-even-further-now-only-473/

Cheers

13. hotkey said:
    January 20th, 2010 12:16 PM

Kareem –
    There must have been something wrong with your’s. Mine works well with my WD and my Maxdor external drives. The image is vivid and the colors are phenominal. The only issue I had was hooking up this external BD-Rom but I suspect it was because I didn’t have the correct drivers for Windows7…which I will download and play with this weekend.

Stay tuned.

14. Avid said:
    January 23rd, 2010 2:14 AM

Guys, anyone found out whether GTA 4 works on it?
    Please……

15. Robert said:
    April 17th, 2010 10:28 PM

At first i question the wisdom of squeezing the ION into a netbook frame, now i can’t wait to see it entering the U.S. market. With 1201n’s ION and HDMI port, would basically be able to tether it to any monitor/TV and get 1080 resolution right there with hassle. I now am glad that i wait.

16. lexmod Coupon said:
    November 28th, 2013 4:18 AM

Hey! This is kind of off topic but I need some advice from
    an established blog. Is it difficult to set up your own blog?
    I’m not very techincal but I can figure things out
    pretty quick. I’m thinking about creating my own but I’m not sure where to begin.

Do you have any points or suggestions? Appreciate it

17. Crystle said:
    February 20th, 2014 12:08 AM

I usually do not drop many comments, but i did a few searching and wound up here
    Asus Eee PC 1201N netbook officially announced | Netbook Choice.
    And I do have a couple of questions for you if
    it’s allright. Is it simply me or does it
    appear like some of the remarks come across as if
    they are written by brain dead visitors? :-P And, if you are
    writing at additional social sites, I would like to keep up with everything fresh you have to
    post. Could you make a list of all of all your community sites like your twitter feed,
    Facebook page or linkedin profile?

18. Anglia Tool Centre Voucher Code said:
    June 27th, 2014 5:50 PM

you’re in reality a excellent webmaster. The web site loading pace is amazing.
    It kind of feels that you are doing any distinctive trick.
    In addition, The contents are masterwork. you have performed a excellent task in this subject!

Trackbacks

1. Asus Eee PC 1201N netbook officially announced – Netbook Choice | The Bargain Netbook
  2. Asus announce the Eee PC 1201N
  3. ASUS’ Ion-packing Eee PC 1201N gets official, gets handled (video) | NewsHaven
  4. ASUS’ Ion-packing Eee PC 1201N gets official, gets handled (video)
  5. ASUS’ Ion-packing Eee PC 1201N gets official, gets handled (video) | Reaction Radio
  6. Asus Eee PC 1201N netbook officially announced | Netbook Choice Notebook/Netbook Fans
  7. Its All About A Digital Technology » Blog Archive » ASUS’ Ion-packing Eee PC 1201N gets official, gets handled (video)
  8. RSS For Gadgets » ASUS’ Ion-packing Eee PC 1201N gets official, gets handled (video)
  9. ASUS’ Ion-packing Eee PC 1201N gets official, gets handled (video) | Techdare
  10. BlogLime » Blog Archive » ASUS’ Ion-packing Eee PC 1201N gets official, gets handled (video)
  11. ASUS’ Ion-packing Eee PC 1201N gets official, gets handled (video) | Stoth
  12. ASUS’ Ion-packing Eee PC 1201N gets official, gets handled (video) | Technology South Africa
  13. Asus announce the Eee PC 1201N | FocuSoft Tech Blog
  14. ASUS’ Ion-packing Eee PC 1201N gets official, gets handled (video) | Tech Zone 24
  15. ASUS’ Ion-packing Eee PC 1201N gets official, gets handled (video) | Dominic Fallows
  16. ASUS’ Ion-packing Eee PC 1201N gets official, gets handled (video) | Gadgetorium!
  17. ASUS’ Ion-packing Eee PC 1201N gets official, gets handled (video) | Programming Blog
  18. Online Business Management Software and Services » Blog Archive » ASUS’ Ion-packing Eee PC 1201N gets official, gets handled (video)
  19. ASUS’ Ion-packing Eee PC 1201N gets official, gets handled (video) | Lancilo USA
  20. Asus Eee PC 1201N…$500 Seems Like a Great Deal, But Have We Been Had? [NetBooks] | Programming Blog
  21. Online Business Management Software and Services » Blog Archive » Asus Eee PC 1201N…$500 Seems Like a Great Deal, But Have We Been Had? [NetBooks]
  22. Asus Eee PC 1201N…$500 Seems Like a Great Deal, But Have We Been Had? [NetBooks] | Tech stuff center
  23. Gadgets & Tech » ASUS’ Ion-packing Eee PC 1201N gets official, gets handled (video)
  24. You Get The . Info » ASUS’ Ion-packing Eee PC 1201N gets official, gets handled (video) – 8602th Edition
  25. GPS Navigation » ASUS’ Ion-packing Eee PC 1201N gets official, gets handled (video)
  26. Asus Eee PC 1201N: A Great Deal, But Have We Been Had? | Gizmodo Australia
  27. Asus Eee PC 1201N…$500 Seems Like a Great Deal, But Have We Been Had? [NetBooks] | Hirdyz Emporium
  28. CtoBuzz.com » ASUS’ Ion-packing Eee PC 1201N gets official, gets handled (video)
  29. Asus Eee PC 1201N…$500 Seems Like a Great Deal, But Have We Been Had? [NetBooks] | Products & Tech News
  30. ASUS’ Ion-packing Eee PC 1201N gets official, gets handled (video) | e-Smart Tech Gadgets
  31. ASUS Eee PC 1201 netbook, official and technical specs | Gadget Folder Free Gadget Review
  32. Asus announce the Eee PC 1201N | Laptops Today
  33. ASUS’ Ion-packing Eee PC 1201N gets official, gets handled (video) | NewGadget.Info
  34. » ASUS’ Ion-packing Eee PC 1201N gets official, gets handled (video)
  35. Asus Eee PC 1201N…$500 Seems Like a Great Deal, But Have We Been Had? | Human Interface Systems
  36. Asus Eee PC 1201N mit Ion-Grafik und Dual-Atom naht - DAS GADGET WEBLOG - DIGITAL LIFESTYLE TODAY AND TOMORROW
  37. [netebook] Asus Eee PC 1201N já é oficial | TargetHD Gadget Blog